Monday, March 15, 2010

creativity going on



I'm currently making a new parang (Malaysian machete) because I left mine in Ontario and I need it for pruning the shrubs and such around the house. I befriended a blacksmith named Doug and he's taking me through the knife-making process. He basically does all of the hard work, and I do little bits here and there. It's coming along nicely too, as you can see in these photos. The steel I'm using is from a common wood file, just reshaped in the forge. I did a bit of forge work in university, but forgot how fun it was! Quite tiring too.

This is an identical file alongside my creation.

It's clamped down while I file the blade.
The lanyard ring was Doug's idea: It's the long part of the file (you know, that goes into the handle) and the twist to it is a nice homage to the southeastern Asian influence - it looks Indonesian or Malaysian.



And today Sadie and I made shortbread skull cookies!
We had extra green icing after making cookies for the St. Patrick's Day celebrations in Erin's class, and I always wanted to make skull cookies....
Cool!

And in case you didn't notice, there are advertisements on the right side of the page now. If you click on them, I get sent money! so click click click away, and make sure you visit here every day!

No comments: